We've been very busy. Here's what we've been up to...
Math- We focused a lot of our time this week on elapsed time. This has been a bit more difficult for students, but they are all working very hard. You can help at home by timing how long things take, and telling a start and finish time for different activities as well. We will continue to work on this as the year goes on, but extra practice will make it that much easier for students!
Please keep working on skip counting songs and multiplication practice. Students do rocket math almost daily as a way to practice their facts, and also use a computer program called xtra math. The goal is to answer questions in 3 seconds. This program can be used at home too! I sent home an instruction sheet for how to log-in. If you need another one, please let me know.
Reading- We have been reading various fables, myths and folktakes like crazy. Students are becoming quite the experts in telling the difference between the stories. Ask them what their favorite has been so far?
AR- We are chugging along to the end of the quarter... it will come fast! Please take a look at AR reports that are going home each week to discuss progress with your student. They are given 30 minutes of class time (sometimes more) each day to read independently. They should also be bringing that same book home each night to continue reading.
Writing- We're still writing a personal narrative story. Next week the plan is to make a final copy and have a share time on Friday before break.
Classroom Holiday Party:
There is no better way to ring in the holidays than with a Holiday Celebration! Our class will hold our Holiday Celebration on December 19th at 2:45 in the afternoon. We will enjoy some snacks, play a few games, and have a white elephant gift exchange.
What is a white elephant gift exchange?
- Students wrap one of those useless items from the back of the closet that no one uses, it doesn’t fit, or you just can’t stand it. The most ridiculous gifts are the funniest ones. Here are some examples: A pink glitter candle in your orange room, a Packer hat that was given to a Bear’s fan, a singing Billy Bass, a unicorn sweater from Aunt Mabel even though you are into monster trucks.
- Gifts are not new. They are simply no longer wanted or needed. How about re-gifting something from last year that you couldn’t return?
- We will play a gift game and have lots of fun with the silliest gifts.
Important Upcoming Dates:
• Monday, December 15 & 16, PTO Holiday Shop, Students Only
• Thursday, December 18, PTO Skate Night at Trax Side, 5:30-8:00 PM
• Friday, December 19, Santa Visit- all day. Casa Mia 1:00-2:15
**Winter Break 12/22-1/2**