**This is the first week that I am sending email copies of this update out to families. If you did not get it in an email, and you would like to, please just let me know by writing me a note with the correct email address written down. I may have not typed in your address correctly. On the other hand if you did get this emailed to you and you want a paper copy or both, please let me know. I'm trying to go paperless with as much as I can. Your help in this would be appreciated! **
I hope everyone is having a great week. We sure have been busy in class. If you want more than just a weekly update, follow us on facebook or twitter for daily updates! We love to see who has been leaving comments for us. Also sign up for text message reminders, or visit our class website!
1. Facebook- Like our class facebook page at the following address to reach the page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mrs-Bentin/338410469656713?ref=hl
2. Twitter- @MrsBentin3- Ask to follow us!!!
3. Website- Here is where the weekly newsletters will be posted from. We will post other things as well to keep you in the loop. http://mrsbentins3rdgrade.weebly.com
4. Remind- Sign up for text message alerts and reminders. It’s easy to do. Either text this number: (414) 376-6477 with this message: @5be87a and follow the prompts. It’s free and your number stays private.
Here's what we've been up to this week.
Reading- This week in reading our focus has been on several things. We have been training for our Daily 5 reading centers, that will hopefully begin next week. The ones that we've really worked hard on this week are read to self, partner read, listen to reading and word work. We have also been practicing the concept of retelling a story, and we've been working with a class book called Enemy Pie. We've also taken a sentence from this book, and really looked at it in order to practice parts of speech and sentence writing. We've focused on verbs, nouns, and adjectives this week.
Writing- Our writer's workshop is moving along nicely! This week we've taken some time to gather ideas, and do some free writing. We've practiced narrowing down a topic so share a small moment from our lives, and also have done some work with sentence structure. We have our writing notebooks set up and we're excited to fill them up.
Math- This week in math we have continued our work with multiplication and division. We have now studied and practiced facts with 2's and 5'. We've also done some work with using both multiplication and division together to solve the same problem because of what we've learned about fact families. Students have learned how to draw pictures, arrays, or equal shares drawings to help them solve their problems. Starting next week, I will be sending answer keys home with all math homework. This homework is mostly done in school, but I want to share answers and ways of solving problems with you so that you can see how we are learning to do it in class. If you ever have any questions, please just let me know. I'm new to a lot of this too, as I wasn't taught this way when I was in school. It's taken me time to reteach myself how to do things differently, and I'm not always there still!
AR Reports- Today you should have gotten your first AR report sent home. I will send home a report every Friday. Please take time to go over this report with your student and make some goals for the next week. As of today, all students should be at 30% of their AR goal. Please sign the report and return it to school on Monday. We will keep track of quarterly progress at school with them. Please note that reports will be printed either on Thursday night for Friday morning due to time constraints on Friday. No quizzes taken on Friday of the printed report will show up on the report. So next week, I will print the report starting from the 19th (the Friday before) until the 25th (the Thursday of the current week.)
You can also access AR at home through Renaissance Home Connect. Today paperwork is being sent home to show you how to use the parent log in to check up on goals. You can even have a notice sent to you when your child take a quiz. It's easy to log in and stay updated. If you need help getting set up please let me know. You can also use this link.
To log in you will use your student's username and password. That information is being sent home today, but they should also know their usernames and passwords. :) If you can't log in let me know!!
Spelling Contracts- Yesterday September spelling contracts were sent home. Each month a spelling contract will be sent home with a list of words to work on and practice. The contract will then be due at the end of the month with all attached activities. Here are the basics for you to know.
1. Each month there will be a point goal to reach for spelling homework. This goal can be reached by completing activities from the spelling contract. There are 5 point and 10 point activities on the contract. You may do more for extra practice and for extra credit but it is not necessary.
2. The words that are sent home with the contract are to be used in the completion of the activities for that month. Additional words that each student will need to practice on their own will also be included. These words will come from spelling tests that we take that are spelled wrong. Those words will be kept in the student’s spelling folder, which can be found in the flex folder. (they will get those next week.. please see below) Those ‘words to learn’ are always fair game for testing, and should be practiced each month with the spelling contracts even if they aren’t found on the main list sent with each contract.
3. I will not collect spelling contracts and the activities that you choose to do until the specific due date each month even if they are done, as the contract is meant to be worked on a little bit at a time through the month so that words are practiced regularly.
4. Some activities that can’t be handed in require a parent signature. Points will not count unless the signature is on the spelling contract sheet when handed in.
Since this month is almost half over, I am only assigning 20 points to get started. As the months go on, there may be some with more points required or less, depending on our school schedule.
**On Monday students will be getting spelling folders. This will be used to keep track of spelling tests, words to work on and also will be a great place to store spelling contracts with activities. I'm hoping this will help so that the activities are floating all around! If you have any questions please let me know.
Important / Upcoming Dates
Monday, September 22 - PTO Tally Rally Week Begins
Wednesday, September 24 - Watch Dog Pizza Night 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM, Cafeteria
Monday, September 29 - BHS Homecoming Week Begins
Monday, September 29 - Special Person Lunch Week Begins
Monday, September 29 - PTO Book Fair Begins
Have a great weekend!